Admission requirements include:
- EDU 190: Intro to the Educational Profession
- Letter of interest/goal statement
- 2 Recommendations (1 - education faculty, and 1 - liberal arts faculty); Middle Childhood Education candidates need 3 recommendations (1 - education faculty, and 1 - each concentration area)
- Completion of a minimum of 28 credit hours (Including: COM 100, ENG 101, PSY 103, SOC 103, core curriculum MTH requirement).
- Minimum GPA of 2.8 with a “C” or better in all licensure courses. Since some liberal arts and science courses are taught only every two years, a student with a “D” in no more than two liberal arts and science courses that are also licensure courses may be accepted conditionally into the department or licensure program. Grades of “C” or better must be earned in those courses prior to student teaching.
- Students must achieve a grade of "B" or better in all Methods courses.
- Transfer students must successfully complete one semester of full-time coursework at Mount St. Joseph University with grades recorded on official transcript in addition to at least 28 accepted credit hours from transferring institution.
- An active (current) background check must be completed and submitted to the Director of Clinical Experiences. Background checks are active for a 12 month period/365 days from the date the check was completed. Background checks must be on file before any field placements are made.
- The signature page of the School of Education's Technical Standards document, signed and dated. (See Technical Standards document below.)